Wednesday 7 May 2014

Machine Gun


This may sound pretentions and big headed but I only speak what I think.

People do not know what they want until they have it. My friend had a show. More on that later. Another friend stated that he should not spend time talking but kinda machine gun magic tricks at the people.

Yeah it is true people have come to see magic and so give them what they want and give them lots.

But the rub is quality or quantity. My friend wants to be more than a sleight slinger. He wants to be a performer. More than that he wants to be a showman.

A magic is like the cgi of a movie, the stunts. After a while of seeing it everyone will be bored. How long do you think you can just watch your card be found, someone predicting what you will think of and things disappearing? I could do all 3 of them in different ways but would you like to see it for an hour?

How about a show that shows nearly every trick in the book? Even then after 10, 20? Would you agree you have seen enough magic for one day?

Now I can't think of specific movies at this moment in time (i may edit this to add one or two) but the end fight scene is epic. Not just because this is where the best moves are thrown out but by this time you WANT the hero to win or you know what will happen if he loses. It is more than walking into a random fight in a bar when all you want to do is break it up. If you knew that this was a fight against a great prick who has made a life a misery would you stop it if the offended party was winning?
I have never been in that position and I am not sure if I would step in. What I do know though is I would if the fight went too far. But who hasn't wanted to punch a dick in the face? Who can not say it would feel good?
Emotional context is what makes a show, logical context too. A connection with the audience. Even if that is that they are fucking scared of you. That is still a connection albeit not one I would want with someone myself. Pacing. All these things I just stated sets up the final fight. The fight will become a hyperbole, but a good one which grows in your mind really well because of the fertile ground made by everything that has happen in the movie.

I am side tracking but who cares (i hope you don’t), the point is when you are involved with more than just your eyes, when magic means more than a cool trick. That is when it is powerful.



The machine gun is kinda good if you want someone to blue screen of death. you do not let the rational mind catch up by continuously slapping it. Without the logical part of the brain the emotional part doesn’t know where it is and even if it did it wouldn’t know how it got there. I have to say doing that to someone id funny if a little mean, but 2 things can happen.

1. The logical, bratty part of the brain catches up a little and decided to put a middle finger in the middle of all the fun and games. They will just reject anything that has and will be thrown at them. They have had too much and the mind is putting up a fire wall. Some part of them goes "nah mate, it shouldn’t be" even if they don't what should be, but they will wreck the house looking for it.

It comes from the same places as the questions "how did you do that" but the wonderment way people ask that but the how did you trick me. The places that get cards snatched off you and people throwing challenges at you. Cynicism. The last piece they have left because logic is failing them.

2. The logical icy cold part of the brain comes and they realise that they are foolish as they are just tricks and yes they are good "but stop acting like they are real, it just good tricks". Now they will be resistant to anything else. They have gain enlightenment. In this state they are more likely to see through everything you do. It is like they have been around the world and they are now ready for round two. But this time they are all grown up.

I know I said 2 but I wanted to split the first point into two. so I have they are kinda the same but I don’t care (I don’t hope you do or don’t this time).

3. What comes up should come down. Humans live by contrast. That’s how we see. Contrast in brightness and colour. Something will feel warm if we are cold and visa/versa (I like the phase visa/versa. also the song by fair to midland)

Ok I’m going to try and keep this bit short. If you give people loads and lot and many good it stops having the same affect. Same with bad (depression is the feeling of wanting to do something but feeling trap (I know this a very over simplification but I said I’m going to keep this short)) so depression is different than sadness (yes I know sadness can cause it but they are not the same).
You don’t appreciate what you have until it gone blah blah blah, more saying that fit.
Why do you think the game demon souls is such a popular game concidering it tries it best to kill you as quickly and brutally as possible? Because of the idea that an easy game is a boring game. We need to fail and die, but we need to succeed and win. (sounds like an analogy of life (do not that this as a literal analogy of life). A game to hard will collect dust though. Demon souls does it by instead of "hey here is a puzzle you need to get pass, see the boulders falling? It will kill you so try to get pass them" it goes "MOTHA FUK U DEAD! Now u know there is boulders that will fall on you, the puzzle is how to avoid them"

So you may be thinking (I hope you are or I guess you can skip this bit (well you can read it anyway if you want)) that "dude so after you do a mega thing in a show like drop your best song in a gig, you got to play kinda not so great one" "so you saying I need a shitty chapter in my short just before the best one?"

Well kinda, most stories fuck up the hero just before he saves the day. All his plans have failed. His girl gone. Seems that there villain has won. His ship/car/time machine is broken and he has to walk. Then he wins (sounds a bit crap but that is the last part of a lot of moives and I am trying to keep it short)

After you played you fan fav song, the one on the radio etc you pull out a slow song and change the mood.
The contrast doesn’t have to be good bad. it can be slow fast. Funny serious. High energy and low.

Good way to test it is watch a whole series of Dynamo. After the 4th no matter how magical it is because he does some crazy stuff (hanging off a bus with just your arm crazy). It will not make as much of an impression because you have reached your high and staying there because the new neutral after a while

Oh and I am not saying there are not problems with talking for a while the trick and another talk. Balance is the key and this post is long enough already I will deal with it another time.



People do not really know what they want. They think they want good times, good times but you need to slap them in the face and make them cry to have them enjoy the good time more. Spread a little bit of sadness. It’s the kind thing to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment