Wednesday 7 May 2014

You do not Realise What you Have til its Gone.
You do not Realise What you Done til its Over.

We carried on lamely performing to really bored mothers watching their kids having fun. It wasn't like we searched them out. We spent a lot of time in the park near my school and parents took their kids to the park excepting to be the only ones there as it was school hours.
We didn’t really look to find someone to perform for. We just thought that "damn she is bored" and we have something a little bit cool. I also think it was the new influx of street magic. This was the time that david blane was at his height. So for our generation magic is either cheesy, gag like magic to the extremes of spoon, jar spoon (no one can not say that this is not funny). Or the underground and modern cool street magic. where you sweep in and blow some minds and then mysteriously disappear, never to be seen again. (this was more what we felt than the truth)

 News got round to my school about the 2 people who did magic. people challenged us. Not asking to see a bit of sleight of hand but to prove to them that we could do it, or waiting for us to mess up (we did a lot), to take the piss or to prove that we could not trick them.

 So kids got what they wanted and took the piss, some didn't.
 Some changed their tune when we showed are arcane skills paste boards.
 Some made their fingers into crosses to ward against our eldritch energies
Some just wanted to know how we did it

Yes really did have kids who was scared. If you think that’s bad I convinced someone how I did my tricks was sheer force of will. He went home meditating on the idea of money appearing in his pocket. This was years later when I had left school.

We wasn’t that great but I guess we were all young. Then again I still perform the same trick I learned back then. more refined. With more understanding. Knowing how it really works (more than just knowing which slight to do next). They were good tricks. An ACR is an ACR (ambitious card routine (making a card come to the top of the deck as many times and in different ways as needed)). Good staple of a card man. Still as good as it ever will be. I just like to think mine is a little better from then.

My friend would come to me with new tricks and we would learn them. try them on our friends first. If I wanted them to laugh I would do this trick. If I wanted to slap them with surprise then I would do this one

It was just before spring when we started magic. We talked of plans to do street magic and what it would be like to have our own show.
Talked about the magicians we looked up to where we would go to perform

That one decision to pick up cards and go to the street.

If we only knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment