Monday 10 November 2014

Space

I'm writing a short show, an idea to perform in some social clubs to get so theories concrete.

I want people to open up to me. I want a playful atmosphere in my show. My aim is to play some games, now the problem with games is that well as a magician I can win every time. Why put someone through a game that they know they will lose. Why have them playing the part just to show how great you are when you could do that while they sit back. Now being a magician out can do it the other way. Make them win. Again what is the point when in the end of the day they will know that they had no control over the events and it was your choice who wins or lose.
I am asking question that need to be answered. What I am not doing is saying any of these are a bad idea to do. What I will say is that it is a bad idea of you do not start thinking about these questions.

I like to perform Out of this World with the fact that I will give them false positives and tricks. It is an effect where the person sorts the cards out face down into reds and black without looking at the faces of the cards. The game has two sides. It is a challenge for both of us. For me it is to trick them into putting the cards where I want them. I look at the cards and say what colour the card is (I'm not always honest) and they decide what colour they think it and I put it on the pile. Their job implicit. They are there to make it hard for me. They are impressed if I get it all right and feel like they have some kind of effect on the end result if I get one or two or three wrong. There is a reason for them to be there. I could not do this without them. They can't lose, only I can. I tell them I will lie when I look at the cards and it becomes playful not competitive.
It give me and the person up with me time to talk, open up that person so hopefully the rest of the audience open up. I can do this with random people in the audience as well.

This could be boring as the whole set up for the trick is for me and the person up with me to sort cards. If I used the deck I would ask them 52 times to which colour they think it is. I feel that the spaces in between are the best bit if you know how to use them. That’s what I want to learn here how to use them. Make the trick funny, make it scary, make it something. The trick will speak for itself anyway. All the cards will be sorted. I need to trick to speak for the whole show. More importantly I need it to speak for me.

When someone makes a song, they take their thoughts feeling, opinions and experiences and mould them into lyrics and tunes. The music speaks for them, a part of them, and a part of their life that they lived.
Magic does not have to be any different. It needs to speak for me. A part of me. The part of me that likes to play.
The in between parts. I will use this to show them what kind of show it will be, who I am and to break the ice. Magic I feel is a more personal art form. Well it should be. You not sing at people for them to listen, nor are you playing a role in a story while people just watch. You intact with people, talk to people. So use everything you can to deal with the people at hand, don't just use them for no point. When you ask them to pick a card etc just that time, what can you add to make it more than just picking a card. Sometimes there isn't anything you can add, but without questioning it there will be always nothing
 I am not fixing a problem of time with this trick. With tricks that have a long set up you need to try and keep the energy. I want that time for my show, I want that time where people are slowly sorting cards. I am not trying to fix this 'wasted' time between start of trick and the reveal but I am putting it there.


Opening a show. Man I can not think how I will start it. I know the points I want to get to and the things I want to do but I do not know how to get there. I will find out, I will get there in the end but oh well.


No comments:

Post a Comment